CoQ10 side effects are something you should know about if you're taking this popular supplement.
Learning About CoQ10 Side Effects
Every cell in your body contains Co Q10. Also known as ubiquinone, this enzyme is necessary for helping your mitochondria produce the energy that helps your body to function. Think about it; all of the jobs your body has to perform, such as breathing, thinking, digesting and pumping blood, take energy. You have to manufacture this energy from somewhere, right? Co Q10 is one part of the equation that is very important to keep your body doing what it needs to do.
Side effects fro CoQ10 are uncommon. It's also not likely that someone would take so much that they would start to experience overdose symptoms, but it's always wise to understand all aspects of any supplement you are taking.
CoQ10 supplements are generally well tolerated by people who take them, though minor side effects of CoQ10 can be bothersome to some folks. If you are supplementing your diet with CoQ10, keep an eye out for these minor symptoms:
- Heartburn/Acid reflux
- Loss of appetite
- Throat pain or discomfort (usually associated with acid reflux)
Major Side Effects of CoQ10
While major side effects on CoQ10 are pretty rare, they are possible. Seek medical attention immediately if you think you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Low blood pressure
- High liver enzyme count
- Symptoms of allergic reaction:
- Swelling of the throat
- Problems breathing
As always, if you are worried that you are overdosing on any supplement, it's important to talk to your doctor as soon as possible to discuss any potential risks that you may be exposed to. Your health care provider can accurately judge what is going on with your body.
What Are the Benefits of CoQ10?
Since CoQ10 is an enzyme your body needs to operate properly, many people feel the need to take supplements to make sure they get enough. Your body uses this nutrient to:
- Generate cellular energy for muscles, enzyme and respiratory operation
- Keep up overall stamina and energy levels
- Stabilizes cell membranes to prevent free radical damage
- Maintain heart and liver function
There are many added health benefits that you might experience by taking a CoQ10 supplement, such as:
- Gum damage reversal
- Antioxidant-related cancer prevention
- Prevention of cardiovascular disease, such as heart attack and valve damage (Folkers, et al)
- More effective immune function
- Increased athletic performance
- Increased sperm motility
CoQ10 is also being studied in its possible uses to treat the following health conditions:
- Congestive heart failure
- Parkinson's disease
- Breast cancer
- Alzheimer's disease
- Stroke recovery
- Chemotherapy-related cardiovascular damage
- High blood pressure
- Muscular dystrophy
- Mitochondrial problems
Looking for more information on the enzyme CoQ10? Check out these articles to further your research.
- The Mayo Clinic talks about the benefits of CoQ10, why you might consider taking it, and how to safely gauge how much you need.
- Cell Health Makeover has lots of good information about CoQ10, including side effects and overdose symptoms.
- What form of CoQ10 are you taking? Different kinds may have different side effects.
- If you think you have a CoQ10 deficiency, check out this article at the Preventative Health Guide.
- If you're looking to buy a CoQ10 supplement, VitaCost sells a wide variety of brands for discounted prices.