Vitamins are necessary to keep the body functioning perfectly and to balance all bodily functions, and the right vitamins for body odor can help curb imbalances that may lead to embarrassing aromas.
About Body Odor
Everyone has a natural body scent, which is affected by their age, gender, hormone levels, diet, health, and personal hygiene. Body odor, also called bromhidrosis, is caused by waste products produced by necessary anaerobic bacteria in the body. When the wastes from these bacteria mix with perspiration - which itself is nearly odorless - strong odors can result. A healthy diet rich in appropriate vitamins and minerals can help minimize body odor by helping the body flush away the toxins bacteria leave behind.
Right Vitamins for Body Odor
Several vitamins and minerals can strongly affect both the concentration and aroma of body odor.
- Vitamin B Complex: These vitamins are necessary to help the body maintain appropriate metabolism, which in turn helps flush away odor-causing toxins. A diet with 50 to 150 milligrams of B vitamins per day can help reduce undesirable body smells.
- Vitamin E: This vitamin is good for the skin and can help repair damaged skin cells that may harbor odor-causing bacteria.
- Vitamin A: Another vitamin to keep skin healthy, Vitamin A may also help reduce body odor by keeping skin from being damaged by bacteria.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is essential for healthy teeth and gums, and a healthy mouth is less likely to produce strong smelling breath.
Several minerals are also helpful when dealing with excessive body odor. Magnesium and zinc, in particular, can help reduce body smells when taken regularly. The dosage recommended for magnesium ranges from 200 to 500 milligrams per day, while zinc should be taken in dosages from 30 to 50 milligrams per day. Because high levels of zinc can interfere with the body's ability to absorb copper, another essential mineral, a copper supplement may be necessary when zinc is used to combat body odor.
Getting Balanced Vitamins
Getting the right vitamins for body odor control does not have to be difficult. A healthy, balanced diet will have adequate amounts of the essential vitamins, nutrients, and minerals, particularly if the diet includes plenty of leafy greens, fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean protein. Eggs, bananas, tuna, lentils, peaches, almonds, and tomatoes are especially good sources of vitamins to help with body odor.
Individuals with dietary challenges may also choose a multivitamin to get an adequate supply of the right vitamins. Some health food companies and vitamin manufacturers offer body odor control blends of the right vitamins specifically to target minimizing personal smells. For some individuals, single vitamin supplements can be equally effective, especially if they are suffering from vitamin deficiencies.
Non-Vitamin Body Odor Solutions
For individuals with severe body odor conditions, simply adding vitamins to their diet may not be enough. There are several other solutions that can help minimize body odor, including:
- Personal Hygiene: Using a stronger deodorizing soap or an anti-bacterial soap can help reduce body odors. Washing more frequently is also useful.
- Clothing: Loose-fitting clothes attract fewer body odors than tight attire. Clothes should also be washed frequently to avoid a buildup of odors.
- Diet: Instead of just adding vitamin supplements, adjusting one's diet can help minimize body odors. Avoid foods with strong smells, such as garlic, cumin, curry, fish, and exotic spices. Eat plenty of dark leafy greens like collard greens, spinach, and kale - the chlorophyll in green vegetables is an excellent deodorizer.
- Water: Drink plenty of water - at least eight glasses per day - to help the body flush away bacterial toxins.
- Deodorants: Choose a stronger deodorant or antiperspirant. Vitamin-infused and antibacterial formulas are available.
If these changes are not having a strong affect on your body odor, seek advice from a physician. Strong body odors can be indicators of more serious health conditions.
Taking the right vitamins for body odor control can help you manage natural smells discreetly and easily, minimizing any embarrassing personal aromas without drawing attention to the condition.